Connect with us

Entertainment

All The Beef Surrounding Olivia Wilde, Florence Pugh And Harry Styles On ‘Don’t Worry Darling’

Published

on


Olivia Wilde’s highly anticipated “Don’t Worry Darling” — her second movie as a director, following 2019′s “Booksmart” — stars Oscar nominee Florence Pugh and singer Harry Styles in his first leading film role. The period drama and sci-fi thriller is set to make its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival on Sept. 5 before a theatrical release on Sept. 23, as the fall awards season ramps up.

But what’s happening behind the scenes has generated an outsize amount of media attention and internet speculation, with fans and social media observers leaving no stone unturned and mulling over every nugget of information. Among the areas of intrigue: While neither has commented on it publicly, Wilde and Styles reportedly began dating sometime in late 2020, during production on the film.

Much of the drama surrounding the movie came to a head this week due to a Variety profile of Wilde, in which she spoke out about some of the major headlines for the first time. If you’ve struggled to piece together the various threads and keep up with the sheer amount of details and players — with some tangential to the film itself — here’s what has transpired so far.

Harry Styles and Florence Pugh in “Don’t Worry Darling,” directed by Olivia Wilde.

Shia LaBeouf

Shia LaBeouf was originally cast in the movie in early 2020. But Styles replaced him by that fall, shortly before the film began production.

In December 2020, LaBeouf’s former partner FKA Twigs sued him for assault and sexual battery, accusing him of physical, mental and emotional abuse. The case is currently pending. LaBeouf — who has a long and public history of physical and verbal altercations, with a judge once ordering him to attend anger management parted ways with his agency and began an inpatient rehab program.

Warner Bros., which is distributing “Don’t Worry Darling,” initially said LaBeouf couldn’t do the film due to a scheduling conflict. However, in this week’s Variety profile, Wilde said that she fired the actor, describing how his “combative energy” didn’t work for the film.

“I say this as someone who is such an admirer of his work. His process was not conducive to the ethos that I demand in my productions,” Wilde told Variety.

“A lot came to light … that really troubled me, in terms of his behavior,” the director continued. “For our film, what we really needed was an energy that was incredibly supportive. Particularly with a movie like this, I knew that I was going to be asking Florence to be in very vulnerable situations, and my priority was making her feel safe and making her feel supported.”

LaBeouf disputes the nature of his exit from the film. In an email to HuffPost, sent early Thursday in response to Wilde’s Variety interview, LaBeouf wrote: “I was never fired from ‘Don’t Worry Darling.’ I quit the film due to lack of rehearsal time.”

LaBeouf also enclosed a forwarded email that he said he sent to Wilde this week, imploring her to “correct the narrative as best you can,” and attached text messages that appear to be from August 2020, in which the two discussed him exiting the film.

“What inspired this email today is your latest Variety story. I am greatly honored by your words on my work; thank you, that felt good to read. I am a little confused about the narrative that I was fired, however. You and I both know the reasons for my exit. I quit your film because your actors & I couldn’t find time to rehearse,” said LaBeouf’s email to Wilde.

“I know that you are beginning your press run for DWD [“Don’t Worry Darling”] and that the news of my firing is attractive clickbait, as I am still persona-non-grata and may remain as such for the rest of my life,” the forwarded email said.

“My failings with Twigs are fundamental and real, but they are not the narrative that has been presented. There is a time and a place to deal with such things, and I am trying to navigate a nuanced situation with respect for her and the truth, hence my silence. But this situation with your film and my ‘firing’ will never have a court date with which to deal with the facts. If lies are repeated enough in the public they become truth. And so, it makes it that much harder for me to crawl out of the hole I have dug with my behaviors, to be able to provide for my family,” it continued.

“Firing me never took place, Olivia. And while I fully understand the attractiveness of pushing that story because of the current social landscape, the social currency that brings. It is not the truth. So I am humbly asking, as a person with an eye toward making things right, that you correct the narrative as best you can. I hope none of this negativly effects you, and that your film is succesful [sic] in all the ways you want it to be.”

A representative for Wilde declined to comment on LaBeouf’s remarks.

Florence Pugh

Social media speculation has swirled around a purported feud between Pugh and Wilde, based on the impression that Pugh has barely promoted the movie on social media — with some observers zeroing in on how she didn’t hit “like” on Wilde’s Instagram post about a trailer for the movie or a subsequent one praising Pugh’s work. A Page Six story about Pugh taking issue with Wilde and Styles’ on-set relationship also generated intrigue.

The two women have also expressed divergent views on the film’s sex scenes. Wilde has described the movie as breaking new ground for centering female pleasure and, throughout promoting the movie, has discussed her philosophy on portraying sex on screen. On the other hand, in a Harper’s Bazaar profile published earlier this month, Pugh suggested the movie’s marketing has placed too much of an emphasis on sex.

“When it’s reduced to your sex scenes, or to watch the most famous man in the world go down on someone, it’s not why we do it. It’s not why I’m in this industry,” Pugh told Harper’s Bazaar. “Obviously, the nature of hiring the most famous pop star in the world, you’re going to have conversations like that. That’s just not what I’m going to be discussing because [this movie is] bigger and better than that.”

Neither Pugh nor Wilde has publicly commented on the speculated feud. In her interview with Variety, Wilde praised Pugh’s performance. She also denied claims of a pay gap between Pugh and Styles. Meanwhile, Pugh’s publicist has said the “Little Women” and “Midsommar” star has been busy filming “Dune: Part Two” in Hungary.

Jason Sudeikis

The promotion for “Don’t Worry Darling” has also become entangled in Wilde’s custody battle with Jason Sudeikis, her former partner, over their two children. When Wilde was giving a presentation on the movie at CinemaCon in April, a representative for Sudeikis served her custody papers on stage.

At the time, a representative for Sudeikis told HuffPost that the “Ted Lasso” star “had no prior knowledge of the time or place that the envelope would have been delivered as this would solely be up to the process service company involved and he would never condone her being served in such an inappropriate manner.”

Wilde at CinemaCon 2022 in April, holding an envelope with custody papers.
Wilde at CinemaCon 2022 in April, holding an envelope with custody papers.

According to a court filing obtained by the Daily Mail earlier this month, Wilde later said Sudeikis’ actions “were clearly intended to threaten me and catch me off guard.”

“He could have served me discreetly, but instead he chose to serve me in the most aggressive manner possible,” she reportedly said in the court filing. “The fact that Jason would embarrass me professionally and put our personal conflict on public display in this manner is extremely contrary to our children’s best interests.”

Sudeikis said the whole situation was due to a series of mishaps, according to the Daily Mail. “I deeply regret what happened,” he said in the documents.

In the interview with Variety, Wilde similarly described the incident as “an attack” and “really upsetting,” adding that she “hated that this nastiness distracted from” the movie.

“To try to sabotage that was really vicious. But I had a job to do; I’m not easily distracted,” she told Variety. “But, you know, sadly, it was not something that was entirely surprising to me. I mean, there’s a reason I left that relationship.”





Source

Advertisement

SUPPORT THE TIMES CLOCK




Entertainment

Snoop Dogg Once Sold $10,000 Blunt To Raise Money For Charity, Seth Rogen Reveals

Published

on



Snoop Dogg once used his iconic love for blunts for a good cause.

The hip-hop hit-maker, a known advocate for weed, is said to have auctioned off a marijuana-filled cigarette for $10,000 to raise money for Hilarity for Charity — a nonprofit founded by actors Seth and Lauren Miller Rogen.

In an interview with Variety ahead of the initiative’s 10th anniversary, the couple revealed how the 50-year-old racked up a five-figure contribution for Alzheimer’s awareness in the most West Coast way.

“Snoop Dogg once auctioned off a blunt on stage for Alzheimer’s,” Seth Rogen said. His wife, meanwhile, noted the steep price for the coveted item: “I think it went for $10,000.”

The “This Is The End” star added: “I think that encapsulates how we are approaching the space differently. If you’re lucky enough to be able to get Snoop Dogg to come perform at your show and auction off a blunt for Alzheimer’s care and research, then I think that speaks very well to an unexpected but effective kind of melding of matters and sensibilities.”

The pair created Hilarity for Charity in 2012 in honor of Miller Rogen’s late mother, Adele, who battled Alzheimer’s in her final days.

Two years ago, Rogen told People how affected he was by his wife’s ability to handle her parent’s diagnosis.

“Seeing Lauren talk about it is very impressive to me,” he said at the time.

“How much she talks about it, and how willing she is to talk about it. How open she is about talking about it and seeing how that has given her a lot of control over her situation – that’s been very good, because it wasn’t like that at first.”

Hilarity for Charity’s “10th birthday extravaganza” kicks off Saturday at Rolling Greens on Mateo Street in Los Angeles.





Source

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Miles Teller Rips ‘SNL’ Cast With Spot-On Peyton Manning Impression

Published

on



“Top Gun: Maverick” actor Miles Teller pulled off a spot-on Peyton Manning impression to break down “Saturday Night Live” cast members’ performances during the show’s cold open this weekend.

Teller hosted “SNL” for its premiere on Saturday as he – along with cast member Andrew Dismukes – played as the Manning brothers to mock the show and its new set of comedians following a summer of departures.

Teller and Dismukes did a rendition of the brothers’ “Manningcast” broadcast to critique a sketch on former President Donald Trump’s stay at his Mar-a-Lago estate during a hurricane.

Teller, in the midst of his commentary on the sketch, predicted a mediocre, error-laden performance from “rookie” cast member Michael Longfellow.

“The new guy’s fully panicking, he’s just staring in the camera,” Teller said.

“Oh God and you know what, that might be the only time we see him tonight,” Dismukes added.

Teller later looped in three-time “SNL” host and fellow “Top Gun” actor Jon Hamm to weigh in on the show’s cast.

The Trump sketch included an appearance by five-time Olympian Shaun White, who played the special master assigned to review documents the FBI seized in a search of Trump’s estate.

“I’ve decided, they’re all awesome,” White said as he held up a briefcase.

“Yeah, well, you know sometimes they need to bring in a real celebrity when the host isn’t that famous,” Hamm said of White’s appearance in the sketch.

You can watch the 48th season premiere’s cold open, and Teller fire back at Hamm, below.





Source

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Lil Nas X Pauses Concert Due To Pooping: ‘This Is Not A Part Of The Show’

Published

on



Lil Nas X was very truthful with fans in Atlanta this week when he had to briefly pause his show.

“I’m backstage and this is, like, not a part of the show, but I’m taking a mean shit,” he can be heard saying in a video tweeted by fan account Lil Nas X News on Thursday. “So please forgive me, but I’m going to need, like, a minute or two.”

“Lmao people really thought i was joking, i was literally back there dropping demons into that toilet,” he wrote.

At least some fans appreciated his openness about the relatable moment.





Source

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Miley Cyrus Shares Moving Voicemail From Late Taylor Hawkins, Fulfills His Song Request

Published

on



Miley Cyrus followed up her tribute to late Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins this week by revealing the heartwarming inspiration for her performance.

In a tweet Wednesday, Cyrus posted an audio snippet of a voicemail she’d received from Hawkins prior to his death this spring. In it, he suggests she cover Def Leppard’s 1983 hit, “Photograph.”

“What up, Miley? It’s Taylor. Heard you’re moving,” Hawkins said in the clip. “I’m listening to ‘Photograph’ by Def Leppard. You could kill that one.”

Cyrus fulfilled that request Tuesday night, joining Def Leppard onstage at the Kia Forum in Los Angeles to perform “Photograph.”

That performance was one of many highlights at an all-star tribute concert celebrating Hawkins’ life, featuring appearances by Dave Chappelle, Alanis Morissette and Pink, among others.

Catch a snippet of “Photograph” below.

In a follow-up tweet, Cyrus noted she “missed Taylor so much like everybody else.”

“It was such an honor to celebrate him last night and perform [with] Def Leppard,” she added. “So lucky to have known him not just as a superstar but to have spent time watching him just be a dad and a husband!”

Hawkins died on March 25 at age 50. At the time of his death, he was in Bogota, Colombia, ahead of a scheduled performance with the Foo Fighters.

Cyrus previously honored Hawkins at Lollapalooza Brasil in March. Taking the stage just days after the drummer’s death, she dedicated the song “Angels Like You,” from her 2020 album, “Plastic Hearts,” to his memory.

“I would’ve done anything to hang out with him one more time,” she said at the time, wiping away tears. “So I couldn’t imagine how the Foo Fighters feel today.”





Source

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘Daily Show’ Has Hilariously Brutal Reaction To CIA’s Langley Invite

Published

on



The CIA is a lot of things, but perhaps it should leave being an online jokester to the pros.

The Daily Show” gave Twitter users a fresh reminder of that on Friday in a sharp exchange with the Company.

It started when the comedy show posted a segment Thursday spoofing the CIA’s announcement this week that it was launching a podcast.

In the sketch, correspondent Michael Kosta plays the podcast’s host, who shouts out the “Lang Gang,” plugs a forthcoming coup, and takes calls from people who don’t know their phones are being tapped.

CIA officials were either spying on the show or simply watching it on TV like regular members of society. But either way, they noticed.

“We see you,” the agency, which has trained death squads, overthrown governments and spied on Americans, tweeted Friday using the “eyes” emoji. The attempted joke came with an invite to visit the CIA’s Langley, Virginia, headquarters “to give you an opportunity to learn a few things about what we do here.”

But “The Daily Show,” or whoever operates its Twitter account, immediately suspected something, given that the invite came a day after host Trevor Noah, who is from South Africa, announced he was leaving the show:

Wow, our African leader steps down and immediately the CIA swoops in. Unreal.”

So far, “The Daily Show” hasn’t formally accepted the invite, but it’s possible that information is strictly classified.





Source

Continue Reading

Entertainment

22 Of The Funniest Tweets About Cats And Dogs This Week (Sept. 24-30)

Published

on



Woof — it’s been a long, long week. We don’t have to tell you that.

Perhaps you feel like you’ve been working like a dog. If so, may we offer you the internet equivalent of a big pile of catnip? We refer, of course, to another helping of hilarious tweets about pets.

Each week, we scour Twitter to find the funniest quips and bon mots about our furballs being complete goofballs. They’re sure to make you howl.

(No need to beg for more ― you can check out last week’s batch right here.)





Source

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Nick Cannon Announces Birth Of His 10th Child, And His Third With Brittany Bell

Published

on



Nick Cannon now has nearly enough kids to form a basketball team.

It’s the pair’s third child together following the births of a son, Golden Sagon, and a daughter, Powerful Queen.

Rise’s arrival comes just a few weeks after he announced the birth of his ninth child, a baby girl named Onyx Ice Cole Cannon, who he had with former “Price Is Right” model LaNisha Cole.

In addition, Cannon shares twins, Moroccan and Monroe, with ex-wife Mariah Carey, another son, Legendary Love, with Bre Tiesi, and twin sons Zion Mixolydian and Zillion Heir with DJ and model Abby La Rosa.

Another child, Zen, who Cannon fathered with model Alyssa Scott died in December at 5 months old after being diagnosed with brain cancer.

Although Cannon’s parenting situation is not typical of most people, La Rosa said she’s found a way to make things work during a recent podcast.

“Technically speaking, we all know about each other,” she explained. “It’s just how much do you want to know, how much are you choosing to know. And I trust the connection that I have with Nick.”





Source

Continue Reading

Trending